February 27, 2015

Snoklahoma

February 27, 2015
Oklahoma is known for it's weather.  "If you don't like the weather stick around. It will change," is just one of the sayings you might hear about Oklahoma weather.  It's true.  One day can easily be 72 degrees in February and the very next day you might have 4 inches of snow on the ground.  It's as exciting as it is frustrating.  Especially if you have five kids and live on a FARM!  

That one time, in January, when we were acting like it was summer and sunk the Jeep.  It wasn't our fault.
We were under a "Its summer time! Psych!" spell.
Wanna get the weathermen all worked up?  Have it snow in early November.
This weather stunt has gone down in the Oklahoma history books as "Snovember"
A few snowflakes fall from the sky and the weathermen can hardly contain themselves.  They change their ties to match the impending weather conditions.  Schools close, small business shops shutdown, and my mother calls to make sure I've been to the store to stock up.  All the while north easterners poke fun at our panic. I believe in being proactive rather than reactive so I get it.  But let it be known that snow in Oklahoma means snow days for public schools, which means annoyed momma in our house.  I am NOT a "Snow Day Fun Day" kind of mom.  I don't race out to the front yard to build a snowman while singing, "Do You Want to Build A Snowman".  I don't jump for joy because we get to sleep in. My youngest kids have yet to master or appreciate that luxury.  Gosh, I sound like a hater.  Forgive me.  My kids need routine, structure, and for the love of Pete to be in school! Who is Pete anyway?  


As far as snow on a farm goes, it only means more work.  If you have been reading my blog you will know our history with pipes and my feelings towards pipes.  Anything that can potentially freeze must be dealt with before the temperatures drop and the snow falls.  Water troughs must be kept thawed (picture me with an ax hacking ice.  Pretty humorous really) and automatic pasture waterers running free of ice.  The water bowls for the pigs and chickens must be monitored and changed frequently.  Animals need be fed extra feed to increase their caloric intake.  Now, there's a calorie burning activity...stand outside in the freezing cold without eating.  And don't get me started on hauling buckets of manure through the snow.   The only good news about frozen manure is it tends to smell less or not at all.  

I don't like anything that can potentially harm my chickens.  Not even snow. 
The other worries that frigid weather bring about are my own personal neurotic ones.  What if the chickens lose their toes to frostbite (it's happened before)?  Why won't the horses take shelter in the loafing sheds (Seriously?  I thought they were smart)?  Will the pigs freeze in a self created mud hole?  Are all the heat lamps working?  Are the water heaters heating or did a rabbit chew the cord?  If I turn on this faucet will the pipe bust?  Maybe I just shouldn't shower until the weather warms up.  

We moms are in this together.  Follow womenirl for real motherhood comedy. 
If you can't tell, I'm not a winter person.  I definitely suffer from "seasonal depression", "everything around you is brown and bare depression", "snow on the ground so no school depression", "my car doesn't warm up fast enough depression", "the horses look cold and depressed depression".  I could go on but it's too depressing.  

All that said, I think one of the most wondrous and beautiful things on the planet are snowflakes.  Each snowflake is unique and unlike any other.  Just like each day here in Oklahoma, weather wise.  

No comments :

Post a Comment